- Cactuses can live as long as 200 years.
- Some species can grow to more than 2 metres tall. The largest cactus in the world is the Saguaro, which can reach 1 metre thick and 20 metres tall.
- A cactus can store water in its trunk so it can survive long periods of drought.
- The spines on a cactus keep animals from eating them.
- Is there a spine in your finger? A large spine can be taken out with tweezers. Coat your finger with oil and massage your finger to get small spines out.
- The best known cactuses are: saguaro cactus = cowboy cactus, opuntia = the prickly pear
- You can only grow cactuses in the garden in warm countries. If it is too cold and humid, the roots of a cactus will rot.